General information Located within a Conservation Area, The Old Rectory is a fine example of its time, dating back to 1765 and listed in Pevsner's Book of Buildings in England. The house has been beautifully restored and refurbished to create a wonderful home with a pleasing layout which retains enormous character and period charm. The elegant accommodation is arranged over four floors, combining well-proportioned reception rooms with comfortable bedrooms over the first and second floors.
A secluded tree-lined driveway leads to the property, and one is instantly impressed by the attractive Queen Anne style frontage with stone steps leading to a pedimented entrance. This opens into the welcoming reception hall from which the ground floor rooms radiate; these include the dining room and drawing room, both of which have open fires, and the kitchen/family room. There is also a good size study, cloakroom, and utility.
The light and airy drawing room is a superb space with high ceilings, an attractive fireplace and dual aspect sash windows offering wonderful views of the manicured lawns. French doors lead out to a paved terrace.
The wonderful kitchen/breakfast/family room forms the hub of the home with views out to the garden, a log burner and French doors which provide access to the terrace, ideal for alfresco dining. The bespoke fitted kitchen has wooden units with wooden and granite worksurfaces incorporating a double sink, as well as an induction hob and electric oven. An adjoining boot room gives access to the annexe and charming courtyard garden.
Perfect for wine enthusiasts, the impressive cellar is accessed from the entrance hall and is divided in to four compartments with a central lobby. Having recently undergone a programme of work, one of the spaces is currently in use as an 'imbibing room', ideal for entertaining.
The traditional staircase leads to a split-level landing where the Victorian extension forms two generously proportioned bedrooms and a family bathroom. The original structure features a second study/dressing room and the guest suite with delightful north easterly views towards St. Andrew's Church. The master bedroom has a spacious dressing room and ensuite bathroom with wonderful views of the grounds to the south. A second staircase leads to the fourth floor where there are two double bedrooms, a family room and shower room.
The annexe An early Victorian addition, the annexe could be used independently of the main house and offers vaulted ceilings and central wood burner.
The kitchen has space for white goods and a lounge area is open plan to the bedroom, with separate dining room and shower room. This cosy facility could provide accommodation for extended family or be used as a bed and breakfast.
A courtyard garden to the south of the annexe provides an idyllic seating area in addition to a front north facing terrace with small pond.
A brief history The original Tudor rectory was built in 1520 at the same time as the brick tower was added to St Andrew's Church in Sandon. Built at the same time as Hampton Court Palace, these were both added by Cardinal Wolsey who was granted the 'Manor' of Sandon by King Henry VIII in 1510. Both buildings were designed by the same architect, Giralamo de Treviso. The Tudor rectory was sieged and destroyed in 1644 and a 'priest tunnel' which ran to the church was blown up by Oliver Cromwell's troops in the English Civil War as the Rectory at the time was loyal to King Charles l.
In 1763, the architect and builder, Illustrious Lewis was commissioned to build the present-day Rectory in the 'Queen Anne' style and the build was completed in 1765. This date, along with the architect's initials, are detailed on the two water Hopper Heads located at either end on the front elevation
The outside The beautifully landscaped grounds and mature garden are a wonderful feature of this property with the tree-lined approach leading to a circular parking area in front of the house. There are extensive lawns to the front of the property and views of St Andrew's Church and a brick built triple garage with workshop has potential to be used for a variety of uses (STP). Adjacent to the garage is a well-stocked cutting/kitchen garden with greenhouse and a storage shed, potting shed and separate garden machine store beyond.
Reached from the drawing room and enclosed by neatly tended rose bushes, a flagstone sun terrace adjoins the rear of the house offering a sunny south westerly aspect. This gives way to a further expanse of lawn which stretches to the east, bordered by established trees and leading to the pond to the south.
Location The Old Rectory is adjacent to St Andrew's Church on the outskirts of the semi-rural parish of Sandon, some 3.5 miles east of the City of Chelmsford. Sandon is a largely agricultural area with a vast network of footpaths and bridleways in the rolling Essex countryside and is best represented by the village green, overlooked by The Crown Public House and St Andrew's. Sandon is well placed for access to the A12 and has good links to London, Colchester, Ipswich and the East Coast. There is a park and ride scheme approximately 2 miles away offering a direct service into Chelmsford city centre with its mainline railway station serving London Liverpool Street. Chelmsford has a comprehensive range of shopping facilities with a broad choice of restaurants and public houses. The M25 and Stansted Airport are approximately 15-20 miles away. The nearby village of Danbury has Heathcote and Elm Green primary schools and Chelmsford offers an excellent choice of grammar schools. Private schools nearby include New Hall School and further educational facilities can be found in Felsted and Brentwood.
Important information Services - We understand that mains water, electricity and oil-fired central heating are connected to the property. There is a private drainage system which has recently been serviced.
Tenure - Freehold
Council Tax Band- H
Annexe Council tax band - A
Agents note We understand that the neighbouring property enjoys a right of access over the drive.
This form is provided for your convenience. If you would prefer to talk with someone about your property search, we’d be pleased to hear from you. Contact us.
An exceptional Grade II* Listed Georgian Rectory with beautiful interiors, a self-contained annexe and landscaped grounds of approximately four acres, offered to the market with no onward chain.
Be the first to hear about newly available propertiesSign up now