Historic former Convent with planning potential
In an elevated position, to the north west of Maldon town centre, St Francis Convent is a substantial building with planning consent for conversion to a single dwelling.
The imposing period property is located next to St Francis Primary School and was originally built in 1880 as a home for local businessman, John Sadd. The Grade ll listed Victorian property was bought by the Franciscan Convent in 1955 from Maldon Borough Council, who had converted the property into five flats. The Franciscan Sisters Minoress then transformed the building into a Convent and school in 1957.
In 2011 planning was granted for change of use from residential to educational, for use in conjunction with the adjacent primary school. The property, with private gated driveway, has been unoccupied since 2017 and in 2018, a planning application was granted for change of use back into a single dwelling.
Split over 3 floors with a basement, the building is largely of brick construction with a natural slate roof and ornate timber-framed projections. In addition there is a Belvedere, constructed of timber and glass, which sits atop the Convent and offers near-360° panoramic views of Maldon and the surrounding area. To the outside is a garden which slopes away from the building and contains bedding plants and fruit trees.
Maldon is a historic town that provides a range of shopping and recreational facilities, including Promenade Park and Hythe Quay. There are reputable private and state schools close by as well as Plume Academy, the local secondary school. For commuters, Hatfield Peverel and North Fambridge stations are both around 6 miles away and provide services to London Liverpool Street in less that an hour. The A12 is also around 6 miles away which provides good links to London and East Anglia.