Moving house checklist
04 Dec 19
We know that there are a lot of things to remember when moving house so we’ve put together a handy guide to help!
- Notify your gas & electricity suppliers – make sure you take final meter readings before you move out and take readings in your new property to ensure your bills are accurate. When you move home you can remain with the same energy provider or move to a new supplier. A top tip is to take photographs on your phone for reference!
- Notify your water supplier – you need to notify your supplier when you are moving home and you will then be contacted by the supplier at your new property.
- Arrange your Council Tax – Contact your local council to confirm your moving date and finalise your current bill. You should then get in touch with the council for your new home and give them your moving in date – if you live on your own you could be eligible for a 25% single occupancy discount!
- Get online – Arguably one of the most important things for most! Let your current internet provider know you are moving and check the terms of your contract, you may be able to transfer it. If not, it’s a good opportunity to shop around and find the best broadband deal.
- Redirect your post – The Post Office offer a redirection service for a fee. Make sure you inform your bank and employer of your new address as soon as possible.
- DVLA – Did you know you could be at risk of a fine if you fail to notify the DVLA of a change of address? As well as updating your driving license you should update your vehicle registration, contact your car insurer and if you have breakdown cover, make sure they are aware of your new address.
- Insurance – Make sure you have buildings and contents insurance in place. If you are buying, be aware that you need to have building insurance from the point of exchange of contracts, not on completion. If you are renting, building insurance is usually paid by the landlord but it’s always best to check!
- Doctor & Dentist surgeries – There can often be a lengthy waiting list so be sure to get in touch with them ASAP.
- Register to vote – Particularly relevant at the moment but we won’t mention the ‘B’ word! You can register online here.
- TV License – Contact TV Licensing – you can update your details online here – if you have already paid upfront they can transfer the license to your new property. Remember you only need one license per household!