A tale of two counties
As its name implies, Bridge House is built not far from the banks of the River Stour and stands close to Anchor Bridge, on Horkesley Road in Nayland.
The River Stour that runs through Nayland had always been the boundary between Essex and Suffolk until 1989 when the Parish Council instigated a change to a section of it. The flood stream running alongside Horkesley Road became the new boundary instead of the loop of the river to the north near Bear Street. This meant that Bridge House on the west side of the bridge and the bridge itself could finally claim to be officially part of Nayland in Suffolk!
The bridge there today is the third on the site and was built in the late 1950s to replace an earlier hump-backed brick bridge from 1775. This in turn had replaced a wooden bridge built in the 15th century by John Abel, a wealthy cloth maker who lived in Nayland at that time.
See 25 pictures of this beautiful property and grounds here.
Bridge House, Nayland is marketed by Fenn Wright’s North Essex Signature team. To find out more about this service for selling premium homes and to search for other Signature property for sale near Colchester, please visit our website.