Development sites and land agency
Selling and buying development sites
Our expert advice will ensure that any potential is exploited and that the land is promoted to best effect so as to achieve the best price while taking into account the landowners' personal circumstances and estate management objectives.
Land with development potential
We have many years of experience in the promotion and sale of such strategic development opportunities and can guide you through the alternatives, which could involve:
- Outright sale with clawback and overage provisions - This will ensure you gain financially if in the future the land or property you sell gets planning permission and increases in value at a later date . There are various occasions when these may be appropriate but the legalities are complex and need expert handling.
- Term option agreements - These are legal contracts between a seller and potential buyer of a property, allowing the buyer, in exchange for a fee, to buy land on fixed terms once a planning permission has been achieved.
- Promotion agreements - The landowner enters an agreement with a specialist promoter who accepts the risks and the cost of the planning process. In exchange the promoter receives an agreed percentage of the actual selling price of the site.
- Pro-option agreements - The landowner enters into a legal agreement providing for part of the land to be acquired by the developer under a Term Option in exchange for a fee and the completion of specified infrastructure works. The balance can then be sold by the landowner as serviced sites at a later date at full market value
- Conditional contracts - A deal has been agreed and under contract and both sides are committed to proceed with the transaction (unlike a Term Option), subject to specified conditions being met. The most usual condition in the case of sites is a grant of a satisfactory planning permission.
For further information please contact Roger Hayward.
Selling housing developments
Whether you have a single building plot in your back garden, you are a local developer with a few properties to market, or you are a national house builder with a large estate in the pipeline, our specialist New Homes team can help.
Sell your newly built homes with our New Homes service
- Planning and survey advice
- Market research and competitor analysis for configuration advice and optimal pricing
- Bespoke, tailor made marketing service using
- Site launches and manned open weekends
- Sales progression with solicitors
- Part exchange arrangements
- Rental advice
Find out more about the New Homes sales service from Fenn Wright.
Acquiring development land
Local knowledge is crucial when it comes to finding viable development sites to buy. Using our detailed knowledge of the local area and speed of reaction, we have acquired sites for both local and national developers. Talk to us first because we
- Keep our ears close to the ground.
- Know which sites have been sold and to whom.
- Monitor the planning pipeline and the Local Development Plan Framework to identify future site releases.
- Keep in touch with other developers and property agents to establish what sites may be coming forward for sale.
- Are likely to know the history of those sites that become available and, in conjunction with Fenn Wright’s new homes team, can advise on which sites offer the most attractive marketing and resales potential.
For further information and help in finding the ideal development site, please contact Roger Hayward.